Urban Decay: Quick fix – what does it do?!


I used quick fix for a week straight, replacing my normal moisturiser and I was extremely satisfied with the results!

5 minute read

As men we sometimes get the short end of the stick when it comes to grooming products because we simply don’t have that much products to choose from and have to resort to buying female products. This post is exactly that! I’m going to review the Urban Decay Quick Fix priming spray. Now Urban Decay is a popular makeup brand, but they also carry a line of skin prepping products which are amazing but miniscule to their real cash cows which are the makeup palettes and foundations…yadda yadda! The brand is edgy and what I would call semi-luxury, you won’t get this in pennywise or even our popular pharmacy franchises; they are cruelty-free and do not test on animals or conduct clinical studies with animals as the subjects; and in a similar fashion, they are vegan which means you won’t find lanolin (wax from sheep), stearic acid (animal fat) or even the popular keratin (which comes from animal hair, hooves and nails) found in many hair products. Definitely, you’re in good hands when it comes to Urban Decay products.

Now the Quick Fix priming spray as the name suggests, is a priming spray before makeup is applied. But you certainly don’t need to be wearing makeup to use this product. The complete name of the product is the “Hydra-Charged Complexion Prep Priming Spray” *inhales*. Fundamentally, priming sprays are supposed to act as a barrier between the skin and makeup to help makeup last longer and preserve skin moisture. There are hundreds of different primers and they can range from colour-correcting, pore-refining, illuminating, mattifying and the list goes on. The UD quick fix is version 2.0 of the UB B6 primer which is supposed to be an improved and more hydrating primer than the B6 predecessor. Before I go into why I’m even reviewing a product for makeup users I want to get into the formula a little bit more.

Vitamin B3 (niacinamide) is the foundation of this primer. Unlike regular B3, or niacin, niacinamide is a topical version of B3 that is used to treat acne, psoriasis and skin cancer in extreme cases and promotes general skin health in lieu of those skin problems. Niacin is used predominantly to treat with cholesterol and heart problems. Also, niacinamide helps to control oily skin and protects against sun damage by accelerating skin cell reproduction. Coconut water is also used in this formula. Coconut water contains a good amount of vitamin C that helps to reduce pigmentation, blemishes and discoloured skin. It also has antifungal and antibacterial properties which makes it great and is gentle enough for the face. The final main ingredient of the primer is Sepitonic M3. This new kid on the block has been clinically studied and is a complex of copper, zinc and magnesium that does a whole lot of scientific stuff that’s excellent for your skin! In essence, it helps with cellular skin development and growth!

Back to why I’m reviewing this product! With those ingredients in mind, this product packs a super punch in a lightweight formula that can be used alone and as a toner. And I was correct, I saw some reviews about the quick fix and the reviewers found that this was a great product that could be used to freshen makeup and be used as a moisturizer, on-the-go. I used quick fix for a week straight, replacing my normal moisturiser and I was extremely satisfied with the results! Now before I go on, I do not wear makeup although I do use tinted moisturizers when I go out very very conservatively because I don’t feel pressured to have a fully beat face as a male whereas, women and some younger men I see now, prefer full coverage. Also, I have smashbox primer and Ulta finishing powder that I use alone respectively, to control my oily T-zone. I do admit though, that I love seeing men and women experiment with full makeup usage, even though it’s not for me.

One of the immediate results I got from using the quick fix spray primer was that it evened out my complexion. It almost looked like I had a tan. When I did some research on that I found that it was probably the coconut water responsible because it so super hydrating and plumping to the skin giving the appearance of a healthy “tanned” glow. After using the product for a week, I noticed also that my skin texture was smoother, and my pores were significantly reduced. I haven’t used this product with anything else, but I am going to try it one evening when I do put on a tinted moisturiser and see how it performs I conjunction with another product on my face. When using this product be sure to fold your lips in your mouth because the taste of this product isn’t a refreshing cold nut. Also, spraying too much of this product on your face will leave your skin sticky and prone to becoming greasy looking. Two to three sprays on your face is enough – it’s that potent!

My final thoughts about the Urban Decay Quick Fix primer is that it’s a really fantastic product! It performed really well and I was really impressed. It’s a super hydrating primer spray that anyone can use. You don’t have to wear makeup to use this product. It think this could be a really good night time and quick errand run moisturiser – I wouldn’t use this during the day or in long periods in sunlight simply because it doesn’t have SPF. My final word about the product is that it could be a great travel companion because its so versatile and is a powerful formula in a straight-forward and no-nonsense application.

Comments